This is a blog for anyone interested in telling others of their time in Haiti. It's meant more for us to share stories, and please make any comments you'd like in the box below the posts (no need to sign in). Contact Julian if you would like to post on the blog--we welcome anyone doing health-related work in northern Haiti.

While we welcome discussion on this blog, issues meant for feedback from the Network should be posted on the discussion board by emailing caphealth@yahoogroups.com

Friday, October 26, 2012

Sacre Coeur Nutrition Centre

On Sept. 12, for the first time, I was tasked with seeing patients on my own here in Cap. I was not exactly on my own, as I had Edia to interpret for me and a great nurse. The center is actually a nutrition center for children and the elderly. They come there for 2 meals a day and for some medications. They are also given fortified peanut butter to use at home. The center is supported by several different organizations in Canada and the United States.
The experience was wonderful and we were able to see 17 patients in about 2.5 hours. There were cases of tinea capitis and corporis, pneumonia, GU infections, and other febrile illnesses. The ages ranged from 5 years old up to the 70s.
Afterward, we had lunch which was a delicious soup called Pumpkin Soup. It was full of yams, beef, carrots, and very flavorful. I think the service provided by the center is excellent and with these types of meals, I am sure the children and adults are on their way to better nutrition. It was a pleasure to be there.
--Nwanneka

No comments: