This is a blog for anyone interested in telling others of their time in Haiti. It's meant more for us to share stories, and please make any comments you'd like in the box below the posts (no need to sign in). Contact Julian if you would like to post on the blog--we welcome anyone doing health-related work in northern Haiti.

While we welcome discussion on this blog, issues meant for feedback from the Network should be posted on the discussion board by emailing caphealth@yahoogroups.com

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Getting used to things...

I haven't been as good about updating this as I have planned to be. It's been quite a busy week, and I'm still trying to understand the rich civil society working in health here. I'm bad at remembering to take pictures (this will change with my time here!) but here is collection of some cool places.

--The volunteer village of Haiti Hospital! Awesome visit to a peaceful, secure compound with renovated buildings.
Especially impressive were the bathrooms. I've to really appreciate nice bathrooms, in a way I haven't since I was in China in 2006. Although actually the bathrooms have been generally more comfortable here. Okay I will stop talking about this, but I do like thinking about this stuff so contact me if you'd like to talk more about toilets.
A good portion of the week has been at the Shada Clinic, where we had a Hands Up for Haiti team coming in and have been supporting the transition from management by SOIL to management by Haiti Village Health and Hands Up for Haiti. It's funny how quickly the connections build up here: Hands Up was pretty much the first NGO I had contact with when I decided to join the Network Support Team, while I am living at SOIL's house.


Been trying to learn Creole, which has been going quite slow--I need to try to immerse myself more! I have, however, been trying to hone my sense of the aid world here with "Haiti in the Balance, Why Foreign Aid Has Failed and What We Can Do About It." Good stuff--it's always helpful be reminded that what feels like good work or policies may have unintended, negative consequences.

No comments: